Signs of Commercial Flat Roof Damage
Now that winter is finally behind us for the year, it’s a good time to assess the condition of your commercial flat roof. Over the course of the winter, heavy rains, winds, and snow can all create damage that too often goes undetected until a problem arises. One of the main concerns with invisible roof damage is that it can worsen the first time a strong storm blows through, and what starts off small can become a serious problem. To avoid the need for complete roof replacement, it’s important to stay on top of your commercial roof repairs.
Our Just Roofing contractors in Hampton serve both residential and commercial roofs throughout Southeastern Virginia. In this post, we’ll talk about the importance of a regular commercial roofing repair and some of the most common signs of commercial roof damage.
Maintaining Your Commercial Roofing
Commercial roofs are structured very differently from residential roofs. They are meant to be easily maintained with minimal attention to maintenance. They are also highly durable and able to withstand direct UV rays, strong winds, and heavy rains.
When you’re in charge of a large facility, the condition of your commercial roof is crucial to protecting the assets inside the building and maintaining the health and safety of workers. Putting off minor roof repairs can lead to the need for complete roof replacement, which can become quite costly. That’s why it’s important to stay on top of regular roof repairs and mitigate problems before they become more serious.
Identifying the Need for Commercial Flat Roof Repair
At first glance, commercial roofs look relatively simple. But it can be difficult to identify points of water and air infiltration with a simple glance. That’s why it’s important to have your roof’s condition assessed by a professional commercial roofing repair contractor.
These are some of the main causes of commercial roof damage:
● Weather Damage- Spring storms, winter snow, hail, and even dramatic temperature changes can all take their toll on a commercial roof. Falling debris such as rocks or tree branches can be just as damaging as a hailstorm. Anytime there’s a serious storm, it’s a good idea to have your roof professionally inspected right away.
● Neglected Maintenance Checks- One of the more common causes of serious roof problems is simply overlooked roof maintenance. When seasonal roof maintenance is postponed or missed entirely, years of minor damage can begin to compound. A roof that hasn’t undergone regular maintenance is typically unable to withstand strong weather fronts.
● Weaknesses in the Membrane- Older and thinner roof membranes may not be able to withstand the normal wear and tear of more durable roofs. Eventually, they can become worn from foot traffic and accumulate perforations and thin spots in the material, compromising the integrity of the roof underneath.
● Damaged Sealant- Every commercial roof has vents and chimneys from their plumbing and HVAC systems. Each spot must be surrounded by seals. Shrinkage can occur around these areas, leading to problems. When these need to be repaired, this creates a vulnerable spot in the roof’s otherwise watertight membrane.
Common Commercial Roof Repair Services
If your commercial flat roof is due for a regular maintenance check, our roof repair contractors will come out and evaluate the condition of your roof. We’ll look for signs of damage and areas of vulnerability. Our goal is to prevent problems by creating a repair plan that protects your roof and the building beneath it.
Here are some of the maintenance services that may be included in your commercial repair plan:
● Adding fresh tar over damaged areas
● Adding a new layer of primer
● Applying a secure rubber patch
● Re-roofing when necessary
Commercial Roofing Materials We Work With
A seasoned commercial roof repair team understands the unique needs of each type of roofing material and makes decisions to maximize their durability. Some roofing materials are applied with chemical bonding, while others are mechanically fastened or ballasted.
We work with several types of roofing membranes including PVC, TPO, and EPDM roofs. If your roof needs something beyond simple repair, we can also install a completely new commercial roof or conduct a tear-off. We’ll help you make the right decision for your roof so you can have peace of mind knowing your facility is safe from water infiltration or the threat of roof collapse.
Contact Your Commercial Roofing Repair Experts in Hampton
When you’re managing a commercial facility, the last thing you need is property damage due to a preventable roof problem. Repairing a small problem today can prevent serious costs down the road. Whether your commercial flat roof shows signs of leakage or it’s simply due for a maintenance check, we can help.
At Just Roofing in Hampton, we bring four decades of expertise in professional roofing repairs to every job. To get your commercial roof inspection, call us at 757-310-3873 or contact us on the web to schedule an appointment.